Announcing the Mennonite Brethren Graduate Theological Education track
A message from President Dr. Cheryl Pauls
Greetings from CMU. I write to let you know what's been happening with the joint CMU/MB Seminary program since the time that MB Seminary informed CMU that for reasons of financial exigency MBS had decided to withdraw from the Affiliation Agreement between MB Seminary and CMU on May 31, 2021. Over the past year, a new four-way partnership has formed in order to rebuild a Mennonite Brethren Graduate Theological Education track (MB GTE Track) at CMU. This new partnership makes it possible for you to continue your studies with distinct MB dimensions, and the parchment you receive at graduation will be conferred jointly by CMU and MB Seminary. I see this new arrangement as a very good thing, and I'm deeply encouraged to be able to sustain the MB track at CMU in service of ministry education that relates very directly to the MB Church.
Highlights of the new affiliation agreement:
- The four partners in the new arrangement are CMU, MB Seminary, Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba (MBCM), and Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (CCMBC).
- Formerly Dr. Andrew Dyck was a full-time faculty member of MB Seminary, and Dr. Pierre Gilbert was seconded for 0.5 of his time from CMU to MB Seminary. Both Andrew and Pierre now have full-time CMU positions. This means that there has been no change to the faculty complement related to your program.
- The course distinctives and requirements of the MB GTE Track are highly similar to those of the former program. Nothing has changed in terms of what's required for you to graduate, be that with an MDiv, MA, or Graduate Certificate in Christian Studies.
- Students in the MB GTE Track:
- have an MB faculty advisor – Dr. Andrew Dyck, Dr. Pierre Gilbert, or another MB faculty member at CMU
- are eligible for CMU GSTM (Graduate School of Theology and Ministry) scholarships and bursaries, the same as any other students in this program
You are most welcome to address any questions about this new arrangement or any part of your studies to me, or to Andrew Dyck or Pierre Gilbert. I've attached also an Addendum offering context of the distinct MB GTE Track at CMU within CMU's overall relationship with the MB Church. Thank you for your commitment to Christian ministry. I look forward to connecting with you again as your studies continue.
May God bless you and keep you, this summer and always.