March 16 COVID-19 update for the CMU community
As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, we are always considering what is best for the health and safety of our students, staff, faculty, and the communities that we serve. It is important to CMU to play its part in keeping our campus safe.
The Emergency Operations Committee and CMU Administration continue to collaborate with other post secondary institution and health experts while closely monitoring COVID-19 developments.
This unprecedented, complex, and evolving situation will challenge each member of the CMU community—students, staff, and faculty. We ask for, and we greatly appreciate, your contribution to this collective effort.
The CMU campus will remain open to students, staff, and faculty. Students may choose to work from home or from student spaces on campus. Marpeck Commons and the North Side are only accessible through proximity cards. When meeting with instructors or fellow students, observe social distancing practices (two metres distance).
No confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection on the CMU campus
- CMU has confirmed two students were tested for the COVID-19 virus, but health authorities found the test to be negative for COVID-19. To date, there are no known confirmed cases of COVID-19 on the CMU campus.
Increase in frequency of cleaning throughout CMU campus
- To promote the ongoing safety of all on the CMU community, the university has instituted a more frequent and vigorous cleaning regimen throughout the CMU campus, including bathrooms, lounges, dining hall, and public spaces.
Discontinuation of in-person classes, move to online classes and exams
- After the cancellation of classes on Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17, classes will reconvene online on Wednesday, March 18. Makeup classes for March 16 and 17 will occur on April 6 and 7.
- There will be no in-class final exams.
- Students will receive further instruction from the Registrar's Office and instructors on how to complete their classes online.
- Students will receive further information about practica and lab completion.
- Information about IAMS and final recitals will be communicated separately to IAMS instructors and students.
- The CMU Registrar's Office has delayed the voluntary withdrawal date to March 20.
- CMU is committed to completing the Winter Term and awarding course credits as originally scheduled.
A virtual conferral of degrees will take place on Saturday, April 25. Details for an in-person celebration for graduates and family will be announced.
Option for students living on campus to move to other accommodations
- With the end of in-person classes and start of online classes on Wednesday, March 18, it is an option for all students living in CMU apartments and dormitories to remain living on-campus or find other living arrangements.
- We encourage Canadian dormitory students who can find alternative living arrangements to do so, in order for CMU to offer safe accommodation for all International and out of province students who cannot go elsewhere.
- If students choose to leave their apartment prior to end of term, no financial room and board credit or refund will be applied.
- For students living in dormitories, CMU will apply a financial credit (25% of one term room and board) on the accounts of students who choose to leave and who return to on-campus living next year.
- Students electing to move from their on-campus housing must confirm arrangements with Residence Director Charlie Peronto—email@example.com or call/text 204.330.8303.
- The final date for living in residence is Sunday, April 26. If students choose to live off campus prior to that date, they are not permitted to return to the residence or dining hall.
March 2020 Xplore classes cancelled
- Remaining classes of this month's CMU's Xplore 55+ program on the CMU campus are cancelled. Xplore participants will be contacted by Gerald Gerbrandt with additional information.
Virtual chapel until the end of classes
- CMU is committed to the spiritual enrichment of all of our students, staff, and faculty. Regular worship services will be conducted online. Watch for additional information via email and The CMU Daily News.
Printed from: media.cmu.ca/nr-covid-19-4